Making the voices of dementia stronger
The 3NDWG is a working group of people living with dementia across England, Northern Ireland and Wales. Members are based all across the three nations, creating a network of voices on dementia who can lead on regional projects.
A steering group of 10 people with dementia drawn from the membership will lead the 3NDWG.
We wish to contribute to:
- Improving the lives of those living with dementia
- Improving the lives of those who support and care for people with dementia
- Help the work of professionals and policy makers working in this and related areas
- To make a positive difference to the lives of people affected by dementia.
- To become an advisory and the ‘go to’ group for professionals, the media, policy makers and anyone seeking input from people with dementia.
- To reduce the prejudice and stigma attached to dementia.
- To raise public awareness about the needs of people with dementia and their supporters and carers.
- To be a collective voice of and for people with dementia nationally, regionally and locally.
- To influence public policies that impact on the lives of people with dementia and their families.
- To initiate and deliver specified projects for the benefit of people with dementia.
- To advocate for all professionals working in the field to involve people with dementia in their work
We have been involved in activities such as:
- Being approached for input on several consultation exercises such as the Green Paper on Health and Social Care and the Prime Minister’s Challenge on Dementia 2020
- Asked to speak at several events, including the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Dementia, Dementia Friendly Communities and others
- Delivering the opening session at the Alzheimer’s Society Annual Conference
- Attending the Labour Party Conference to reach key MPs and other influencers
- Heavily involved in the production of the new rights-based Dementia Statements and the Wales Dementia Action Plan 2018-2022
- Providing a service user perspective to interview panels for key staff appointments within the Alzheimer’s Society
- Building links to key organisations such as the DAA, NHS England, the Welsh Assembly, the Alzheimer’s Society
- Delivering a presentation on the rights of people affected by dementia at Alzheimer’s Disease International conference in Chicago 2018
- Attending the NHS Long Term Plan event, where we directly addressed the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care regarding dementia care
- Sat on the judging panel for the Dementia Friendly Awards